Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Old Bird




My dad just sent me this video. I am getting sappy in my old age, because it made me cry. My sister and I are going with my dad in a few weeks to see the final launch of the space shuttle Discovery. My dad was the pilot of Discovery two times. The footage is so moving because this vehicle made my dads dreams come true, and also because I am so grateful she kept my dad safe. The space industry was a huge part of my life, and at times I feel so removed from that world. It is hard to believe my children will grow up without watching shuttle launches on tv. My dad said "bittersweet" is a perfect way to describe the retirement of the shuttle. I look forward to watching the old bird take her final bow. I am sorrowful for all the people who will lose their jobs once the program ends. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. To infinity and beyond!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment