Monday, September 13, 2010

Kill Devil Hills

Lillian snacking and sightseeing with her shades on
I have never seen the ocean so angry. The waves were crashing so fiercely. The surfers were in heaven, but man I would not be that brave. Joe said it seemed like the ocean had been "stirred up." Swimming was prohibited for 2 days
We drove around and checked out the damage. Harrison was a big fan of driving my car through the water filled streets.
Joe took the kids to watch the sunrise. I got to sleep in-love ya babe!
One of my favorite parts of the trip was our morning drives. We just drove all over and explored. The water is so quiet and still early in the morning.
Our first day on the beach
Harrison could not get there fast enough.
Lillian played in the ocean for hours. Both the kids are completely fearless with water. This year was so different than our beach trip last year. Watching two gutsy kids at the beach is a lot of work. Maybe next year we will actually sit down once or twice.

Sitting waiting for the waves to "crash them."
Poor Lills, the waves definitely "crashed" her
My sweet little fish
Everybody chase daddy into the water

Anybody seen my "brodder?" (Lillian carried her sandy PB and J around for about an hour...crunch)
Found ya!
Daddy kisses
Playing at the beach is tough work
Beach day 2

On your mark, get set, GO!
I could sit and watch these two delight in each other and the beautiful ocean all day. It makes my heart swell with happiness and pride. I look forward to many, many more family trips to the beach.
We booked a last minute 5 day trip to Kill Devil Hills several weeks ago. We found a steal on VRBO, Joe took off time from work, we were all packed and ready to go. The dog could even come along. Well, then Hurricane Earl decided to head directly for the Outer Banks. We watched the news around the clock. First, it started with Jim Cantore and Al Roker reporting live from Kill Devil Hills, and then the day we were supposed to leave they issued a mandatory evacuation. Total bummer. I was so excited to feel the sun on my face one last time before both kids started pre-school. We waited it out and headed there Friday afternoon. The town was pretty vacant, and we enjoyed checking out all the areas hit by the storm. We checked in and then headed straight for the beach. The waves were enormous. If I did not have kids with me, it would have been pretty cool to see the ocean during such a big storm.
We had a fabulous family getaway filled with lots of time at the pool and beach, family walks and drives, bike rides with Winston running behind, ice cream runs, family naps, and so much more. I love living so close to the coast. Oh, I can't forget we even ate fresh crab. It really doesn't get any better.
Hope you had an enjoyable Labor Day as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment