Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bomb

When I went to see my old friend Laura in Dallas we discussed the joys and hardships of motherhood. She works as a teacher full time and has two little boys 15 months apart. She asked how my house was always so clean in pictures. I explained that while I am a pretty clean gal most of the time and always have been (she met me when I was 8 and arranged my Keds by color and style), I also do not take many pics when my house is a disaster. It is an illusion of sorts. She said it always made her feel badly bc she has two small kids and cannot keep her house clean. She asked, "is your house ever a bomb." The answer is yes. Way more than I would like. Perceptions are a hard thing. I do not want her to stress over pictures! More than likely four minutes after I clicked a pic, it returned to "normal". Here is my kitchen last night. Dishes piled high, groceries everywhere, toys, dog slobber, and I had cleaned it about 2 hours prior for the millionth time.
I read the Nester today and it reminded me of my conversation with Laura. Mommy blogs can be a slippery slope. Lots of showing off and general overthinking, but also tons of fabulous ideas and comradery. I am glad that there are people who do not feel any personal pressure to keep a clean and tidy house. I wish that I was one of those people. Luckily I am married to one ;) But, I cannot change my DNA or the way that I was raised and I just strive to find balance in all the domesticness. We do lots of art and cooking and playing, but I would be lying if I said going to bed with the dishes put away and my pretty pillows fluffed on the couch did not help me relax. it takes all sorts to make the world go round. Love you Laura, and you are doing a fabulous job! I will send you a pic of my closet and car next and it will make you feel much better!

3 comments:

  1. got it at shops of Baileywick, I am telling you GO TEHRE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the honesty in this. isn't it so true how all of us are human. you know i can't go to bed either with dishes in the sink and unfluffed pillows! thankfully, our husbands accept us! ha thank goodness we are great friends!!!

    ReplyDelete